Saturday, December 31, 2011

Vegan Dishes at Red Kimono - a sign of things to come for 2012


It used to be quite a challenge every time my vegan friend, Jem, would visit us from the U.S. But since I am almost a vegetarian now (since I mostly just eat vegetables, fruits and other non-dairy products on a daily basis), we were more than prepared for her diet. (^_^) 

So I first thought of grilling tofu and spinach for her. But I was also craving to dress up and have dinner out. I figured, we can go back to Red Kimono in Westgate, Alabang, one of the few restaurants in our area that offer vegan dishes. 

As a vegan, Jem doesn't eat anything that come from animals, insects... practically anything that comes from a living thing with a face (as Peter puts it, LOL), including honey (I was shocked!) since it comes from bees. According to http://vegetarian.about.com,

Veganism is a type of vegetarian diet that excludes meat, eggs, dairy products and all other animal-derived ingredients. Many vegans also do not eat foods that are processed using animal products, such as refined white sugar and some wines. Most vegans also avoid the use of all products tested on animals, as well as animal-derived non-food products, such as leather, fur and wool. Vegan refers to either a person who follows this way of eating, or to the diet itself.

So it's a good thing that the vegetarian dishes in Red Kimono also pass up as vegan dishes. 

Here are the delectable Red Kimono vegan / vegetarian dishes we had:

Layered Spinach Tofu (with sweet miso paste) - This is what Jem had. OMG! I want to make this at home! 

 Crunchy Veggie (a crunchy vegetarian sushi dish filed an topped with "mock crab" salad) - Another dish that Jem had which Peter and I tasted too. 

Red Scorpion Maki  (Maki rolled with soft shell crab, salmon and scallops-topped with bits of tuna) - Peter was the one who chose this dish for me. I wanted to try something new and not the usual sashimi, California Maki and sushi that I order in Japanese restaurants.

 Sukiyaki (Tender beef with noodles, veggies and tofu in a sweet broth) - This is what Peter ordered. I ate one of the tofu, teehee.

Then of course, we all had miso soup, and water for drinks (although I ordered mango banana shake too, hehe.) 

Jem, brought me a lot of happiness this latter part of the year. Her way of life rekindled my desire for a life well-lived. I may just go vegetarian one of these days since I am already practically like that! As for being a vegan, we'll see.  I already gave up chocolates, cakes and ice cream. I'm not about ready to give up honey, yogurt, skim milk and eggs just yet. (^_^)
 
Have a prosperous and healthy new year! Til our next healthy food date! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post