We don't usually celebrate the Chinese New Year the way we do Halloween or Christmas. But my sister wanted to buy some Tikoy as pasalubong for her girlfriend back in Zamboanga. So Peter bought a small box of Tikoy as well. From what I remember, tikoy is supposed to be cooked by frying it in oil. Since I should refrain from eating oily foods as much as possible, Peter found a way to cook it and even made it healthier.
Here's what he did:
- He made a couple of slices of Tikoy and arranged them on a plate.
- On a separate bowl, he beat an egg.
- He poured the beaten egg on the plate of sliced Tikoy.
- He sprinkled some brown sugar on top.
- He popped the entire thing in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes.
The Tikoy experiment tasted really good! And there was no oil needed. Hurray! bon appetit!